The Right Care For Your Leggings
There are a lot of people who shy away from leggings because so many think that they don’t last long enough. The cost of leggings can be a little on the high end depending on where you get them from which is one of the reasons it’s important to know how to care for them properly in order to have them last longer. Leggings used to be something you only saw in yoga studios but they have slowly made their way out into the big world and are worn all the time with various styles. You will find sexy, sleek, classy, sophisticated, and elegant styles being rocked all over the globe. Leggings are becoming more and more popular every day. AND… just in case you didn’t already know this, leggings aren’t only for women, there are men’s leggings too! Let’s get down to business.
Always check the care tag on your leggings before you simply toss them in the washer. A majority of leggings are supposed to be washed in cold water on a gentle wash setting. Leggings are tough but you don’t want them being roughly tossed about the washing machine. Wash your leggings with like colors to avoid any color bleeding. It’s also good practice to turn them inside out before washing and to try to keep them with clothing of similar material, although it’s not extremely necessary.
When it comes to the detergent you can use whatever you like but some people prefer to use a mild or gentle detergent. Avoid using bleach at all costs because it can be too harsh for some materials, as well as, leaving bleach spots on your clothing. Fabric softener should be avoided as well as coats synthetic material and interferes with the wicking ability.
Drying Your Leggings
Once again, always refer to the care tag for your specific leggings as some instructions vary depending on the type of material and things of that nature. When it comes to drying leggings it is common to use the cool dry setting to keep the fabric from dealing with temperatures that might be too high. Some leggings care tags state that they should be tumbled dry while others need to be air-dried. This is why it’s so important to check the care tag for every pair.
Always make sure your leggings are completely dry before putting them away. Any type of clothing can potentially mold or mildew if they’re put away damp. They will also smell rather unpleasant too. When it comes to your leggings be particularly careful since they fit so tight to your private areas. You don’t want to end up with some funky bacterial infection just because you wore wet leggings.
- Avoid placing your leggings or any clothing for that matter, into your dirty clothes basket or hamper if they are damp whether it’s from sweat or water. This can lead to mold and mildew.
- Do not iron your leggings unless the care tag specifies that you can. If your leggings are too wrinkly, as long as they can go in the dryer, simply toss them into the dry with a dryer sheet for a few minutes and the wrinkles will be gone.
- Always be sure to turn your leggings inside out when you wash and dry them. This will help them last longer.
- Don’t pick or pull any loose strings off. This can lead to tears and holes in your lovely leggings.
- Fold them over once and hang them on a hanger to help decrease the amounts of folds and creases. The smoother the better.
- Don’t pick or pluck the fuzz that can sometimes stick to your clothing. With leggings, it’s best to use a lint roller in order to protect the fabric.
Leggings are amazing! Some people claim they only last for about a year but when you properly care for them in all ways they can last much longer than 365 days. We can’t stress to you enough how important it is to check all of the care tags on individual leggings. One pair might require different washing or drying techniques. Love your leggings and they’ll last longer! The proper care is essential for extending the leggings life so check those tags!